NECSTouR Brings its Views about Cultural Heritage at the 11th International Conference for Cultural Tourism in Europe
NECSTouR has been one of the protagonists of the 2018 edition of the International Conference for Cultural Tourism in Europe, organised in Pafos (Cyprus) on the 25-27 October 2018 by the European Cultural Tourism Network.
Views on Cultural Heritage. Mrs Sandra De Puig, NECSTouR Coordinator, presented the Barcelona Declaration "Better Places to Live, Better Places to Visit" as the NECSTouR legacy for the European Year for Cultural Heritage (EYCH) 2018.
The Declaration aims at addressing the sustainability of the social and cultural impacts of tourism in Europe, by proposing a set of principles to be applied jointly in order to responsibly balance the uses of cultural heritage, the demands of the tourism industry and the needs of the local community.
"The goal for NECSTouR - stated Mrs De Puig during her intervention - is that this Declaration remains a life declaration, adding supporters along the years and updating the document by illustrating the principles with good practices. We would love to count with your experiences and support!"
High-level Endorsement. During the event, Mrs. Androula Vassilis, former commissioner on Culture at the European Commission, expressed its personal great admiration for the initiative and her willingness to support it.
The support. Organisations willing to participate, can express their support here
The Awards Ceremony. As member of the jury, Mrs De Puig participated also to the Awards ceremony for ‘Destination of Sustainable Cultural Tourism 2018’. The European Cultural Tourism Network awards every year those Destinations who distinguish themselves for the protection and promotion of the Sustainable Cultural Tourism and this year, it was a Special edition as a contribution to EYCH 2018, in partnership with Europa Nostra and European Travel Commission and with the support of NECSTouR.
Watch the video of the Awards Ceremony
NECSTouR Awarded Destinations. Several Destinations from the NECSTouR member Regions have been awarded:
- South Limburg - 2nd in the category "Religious and Pilgrimage";
- Kempens Landschap from Flanders - 1st in the category "Cultural Landscapes";
- Ecomuseo Casilino from Lazio - 2nd in the category "Cultural Landscapes";
- VisitFlanders - 1st in the category "Industrial and Military";
- Berguedà Development Agency from Catalonia - 2nd in the category "Industrial and Military";
- Ostana Municipality from Piedmont - 2nd in the category "Historic Villages and Towns";
- Consorci de Turisme den Baix Llobregat and Cambrils from Catalonia - 1st and 2nd in the category "Cultural Sites";
- Istria Tourism Development Agency - 3rd in the category "Contributions by Cultural and Creative Industries"