Regenerating European Tourism through Culture, Heritage and Creativity is the overall theme of the European Cultural Tourism Awards 2021.
The European Cultural Tourism Awards is an initiative from the European Cultural Tourism Network (ECTN) for which NECSTouR together with European Travel Commission and Europa Nostra cooperate since 2018, as "the legacy of the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018 and to encourage the development of sustainable tourism destinations around Europe".
The aim of this year's edition is to underline and award the valuable contribution that Culture, Heritage and Creativity are bringing towards a sustainable regeneration of the European Tourism.
As partner of the in initiative, NECSTouR warmly invites its members to apply (deadline 1 June 2021).
The 2021 Awards
The Awards will be given for achievements by cultural tourist destinations which have produced significant results related to enhancing visitor experience while respecting traditions and involving local communities.
The 2021 Awards address the following heritage-related aspects of sustainable cultural tourism:
- Archaeological Sites and Museums as Cultural Tourism Attractions
- Walking Tourism and Slow Travel – Synergies with Cultural Tourism, supported by ‘Via Francigena’ cultural route of the Council of Europe
- Digitalisation in Sustainable Cultural Tourism, towards Smart Destinations
- Transnational Thematic Tourism Products, including European Cultural Routes
- Cultural and Creative Industries (CCIs) contribution to Cultural and Creative Tourism development, in the framework of the ‘International Year of Creative Economy for Sustainable Development 2021’ and Interreg Europe Cult-CreaTE project, supported by ‘Creative Tourism Network’
- Railway Heritage Assets for Cultural Tourism, in the framework of the ‘European Year of Rail 2021’.
The applicants must address one of the above themes and present projects/initiatives that have been completed during the past 3 years. Award winners will be recognised as examples of excellence inspiring other tourist destinations and stimulating further development of sustainable cultural tourism initiatives.
This 2021 edition is organised in the framework of the International Year of Creative Economy for Sustainable Development and the European Year of Rail.
How to apply?
The Joint Awards are open to all tourist destinations across Europe, national, regional and local authorities, tourism boards and associations, destination management organisations, museums, interpretation centres, cultural routes, festivals and cultural NGOs.
You can apply directly on ECTN Website
Award winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony to be held during the 14th International Conference for Cultural Tourism on the theme of ‘Regenerating European tourism through Culture, Heritage and Creativity’, organised by ETCN on 20-23 October 2021 in Athens, Greece.